Tasmania Golf Club
A BRIEF HISTORY
The Lindisfarne Golf Club was formed in 1925 and was located on Hobart’s eastern shore but the post-war building boom created an increased demand for suburban land and the State Government determined to compulsorily acquire the Lindisfarne Golf Club’s course in the late 1960s.
This created the need for the Lindisfarne Golf Club to search for a new site and the present site was acquired in 1968. Noted course architect Al Howard designed the course and it was constructed with the aid of Course Superintendent, Ian Grimsey, who was later made a life member in recognition of his efforts.
Tasmania Golf Club was opened for play on 16 January 1971 by the State Governor, Sir Edric Bastyan and the new course was immediately embraced by members.
Over time, Tasmania Golf Club has hosted many significant events including the Australian Amateur Championship and the Tasmanian Open. On many such occasions the course has proved more than equal to the best professional players and, in 1978, Ian Stanley announced that he was content finishing second to local amateur Max Robison as he walked away with the winner’s cheque.
Tasmania Golf Club has also been home to many of the State’s leading amateur and professional golfers including:
Today, Tasmania Golf Club is widely regarded as the best golf course layout in southern Tasmania, second only to Barnbougle Dunes Golf Links at Bridport as the most spectacular golf course in the State. Many golfing visitors to Tasmania start their trip in the north of the State at Barnbougle Dunes and finish at Tasmania Golf Club in the south.